Originally titled the Half-Century Club, the Half-Century Society was founded in 1992 by alumnus and Hall of Fame member Royal D. Marks '26. Members of the Half-Century Society are a unique and vital group of alumni that either graduated or attended Phoenix College 50 of more years ago. Currently, any member from the Class of 1920 - 1966 can be inducted into the Half-Century Society.
For more information about the Half-Century Society, please contact Christy Flora at 602.285.7652 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The primary purpose of the Half-Century Society is to aid and stimulate interest and activities of older alumni. Over the years, the mantra of "friendraising and fundraising" has become associated with the organization. The Society raises money for the Half-Century Scholarship Fund which benefits Phoenix College students.
Each year, the Half-Century Society sponsors a reunion of the alumni who graduated or attended Phoenix College 50 or more years ago. Through the event, alumni are encouraged to participate in the organization.
In addition to the annual class reunion, the Society helps promote and support the Phoenix College Alumni Association Hall of Fame event, which honors and recognizes Phoenix College alumni, faculty, and staff.
The following volunteer opportunities are available to all Half-Century Society members:
- Help recruit new members
- Help coordinate the annual reunion by contacting reunion class members
- Help obtain historical artifacts for the Phoenix College archives
- Help identify worthy alumni for the Hall of Fame
- Help raise money for scholarships
Bob Howell, a primary founder of the PCAA and Half Century Club, passed away in early 2014. Bob Howell's affiliation with Phoenix College (PC) dates back to his childhood when he grew up only four blocks away from the College's original site in downtown Phoenix. A lifelong advocate for the betterment of the community colleges, Bob contributed his time, talents, and treasures to helping establish, nurture, and grow the Phoenix College Alumni Association (PCAA), a nationally recognized program, since its inception nearly twenty-five years ago.
A graduate of PC from 1947, Bob was the epitome of volunteerism. His commitment to Phoenix. College is immeasurable and he has set the standard for his peers among the PCAA. As a founding member of the PCAA, Bob served as the Association's Past President; he provided dedicated leadership to one of the Association's most successful programs, the Half-Century Club, serving as Club President for multiple terms; he chaired the first Membership Committee of the PCAA (membership has grown from 70 members in 1989 to nearly 20,000 in 2005); and he championed the Association's scholarship fundraising efforts by becoming the first alumnus to establish an endowed scholarship for underprivileged students to attend Phoenix College. In 1994 and 2004, when the Maricopa Community College District turned to voters for approval of capital campaigns, Bob helped organize and lead alumni in a public relations campaign which eventually led to successful passage by voters of both initiatives.
Today, Bob is affectionately known as the "Father of the Phoenix College Alumni Association." In recognition of his unparalleled support of Phoenix College and the Phoenix College Alumni Association, PC President Dr. Anna Solley made alumni history when she dedicated the office space which houses Alumni and Development and the Phoenix College Alumni Association as the "Bob Howell Alumni Center" at the PCAA Annual Meeting on April 20, 2006.