Banking and Finance
The Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in Banking and Finance career program has been developed in cooperation with the Central Arizona Chapter of the American Institute of Banking and the Institute of Financial Education to prepare qualified men and women for entry or advancement in the banking profession. To meet the changing image and many challenges of the world of finance, the role of the modern banker today demands specialized knowledge and flexible job performances. A Certificate of Completion (CCL) is also available.
With a degree or certificate in Banking and Finance, you can start work in the banking industry performing a number of important jobs such as Financial Bookkeper, Bank Teller, Payroll Technician, and Assistant Loan Consultant.
Skills and Knowledge
You will gain valuable knowledge through our banking and accounting courses. You will also learn about business law and communication as well as investing and consumer credit practices.
Skills and knowledge gained in the program include the ability to:
- Describe, evaluate, and apply the legal and ethical aspects of contracts, sales, commercial paper, secured transactions, documents of title, letters of credit, bank deposits, and collections.
- Create and analyze internal and external business communications.
- Evaluate various investment forms including study of inflation, taxation, government securities, stocks and bonds, real estate, and retirement plans.
- Describe, evaluate, and apply the concept of consumer lending by financial institutions
- Define the basic rules of financial accounting and apply them to business problems.
Program Certificate & Degree
In this program you can earn the following:
- Associate in Applied Science in Banking and Finance
- Certificate of Completion in Banking and Finance
With training in banking and finance, you may work for a bank, credit union, or other financial institution as a teller, assistant loan consultant, or customer service representative. With experience, you may also move up to be a record-keeper or assistant manager.
Banking and finance is a dynamic industry and steady growth is expected to continue. For information about careers in your area of study, visit O*NET OnLine for detailed job descriptions, education requirements, wage and employment trend information