Baking and Pastry - CCL
Information may be outdated - please refer to the District Office Curriculum Site for the
most up-to-date requirements for this MCCCD Program.
Final Term: Current
The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Baking and Pastry program is designed to train students who wish to become professional pastry chefs. A formal restaurant and kitchen lab operated by the culinary program will provide practical work experience in the areas of dessert preparation. Instruction will be given in the areas of baking, advanced pastry, wedding cakes, baking theory, food sanitation, and business applications related to commercial baking.
Students must earn a grade of "C" or better in all courses within the program.
Students must obtain a Maricopa County Food Handlers Card before the start of required courses, and must maintain the card throughout the program.
|Assessment test score for placement in 100-level English, Math, and Reading classes or above, or complete the following courses|
|(or higher level ENG, RDG or MAT courses) with a C or better:|
|ENG091||Preparatory Academic Writing III (3) OR|
|Appropriate writing placement test score OR Satisfactory completion of a higher level English course||0-3|
|RDG091||College Preparatory Reading (3) OR|
|Appropriate reading placement test score OR Satisfactory completion of a higher level Reading course||0-3|
|MAT090||Developmental Algebra (5) OR|
|MAT091||Introductory Algebra (4) OR|
|MAT092||Introductory Algebra (3) OR|
|MAT093||Introductory Algebra/Math Anxiety Reduction (5) OR|
|Satisfactory score on District Placement exam OR Satisfactory completion of a higher level mathematics course||0-5|
|CUL109 /HRM102||Menu Planning and Development||2|
|CUL113||Commercial Baking Techniques||3|
|CUL119||Baking Theory and Retail Operations (3)OR|
|CUL223||Food Service Management (3)||3|
|CUL127||Commercial Baking: Classical Desserts||3|
|CUL137||Specialty Breads and Breakfast Pastry||3|
|CUL217||Commercial Wedding Cake Production||3|
|CUL219||Professional Pastry Techniques||3|
|FON104||Certification in Food Service Safety and Sanitation||1|
- Demonstrate the essential concepts of standardized recipes, cost computations, and menu writing techniques for food service operations. (CUL109/HRM102)
- Describe the essential concepts, ingredients, and techniques used in baking and pastry production. (CUL119,CUL223)
- Identify, describe and demonstrate the basic techniques and procedures necessary for operating a bakery or pastry shop. (CUL113, CUL127)
- Identify, describe and demonstrate the techniques, preparation and presentation of advanced pastry products. (CUL137, CUL217, CUL219)
- Describe the essential concepts of a quality sanitation system in a hospitality food service operation. ( FON104)
- Describe the major segments, regulations, and business skills required to operate a bakery. (CUL119, CUL223)
All information published is subject to change without notice. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of information presented, but based on the dynamic nature of the curricular process, course and program information is subject to change in order to reflect the most current information available. Please refer to "Your" PC Catalog and Student Handbook OR speak with the Program Director or Department Chairperson.