Emergency Medical Technology
The Emergency Medical Technology (EMT) Basic and Intermediate programs teach students life-saving emergency techniques and how to care for and stabilize victims of illness or injury. Our Advanced program provides advanced level training to become a paramedic, and includes hospital assignments and field internships.
Skills and knowledge gained from the successful completion of this program include the ability to:
- Identify and treat various types of emergencies
- Apply the procedures of identifying and treating shock, including IV fluid therapy and use of MAST
- Describe the actions, indications, contraindications, precautions, side effects and dosages of medications
- Identify and treat pediatric medical and traumatic injuries
Program Degrees and Certificates
In this program you can earn the following:
- Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in Advanced Emergency Medical Technology (Paramedic)
- Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Emergency Medical Technology
- Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Intermediate Emergency Medical Technology
- Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Paramedicine
- Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Emergency Communications and Deployment
An AAS degree in Emergency Response and Operations is also available. The program offers tracks (pathways) in both Fire Science and Emergency Medical Technology.
EMT Core Classes
- Our EMT course covers techniques of emergency medical care in a variety of situations.
- Our Pharmacology course deals with the administration of emergency medications in the field.
- The Cardiac Care ECG courses are designed to acquaint you with basic electrocardiographic (ECG) rhythm analysis and interpretation and related care in a clinical and prehospital setting.
- The Vehicle Extrication course Incorporates new knowledge and skills necessary to access, extricate, and care for victims of crash incidents.
Continuing education and refresher training is also provided for those wishing to maintain their level of certification and to prepare for more advanced courses. View our program resources to obtain information and download resources.
Job growth in this field is expected to be faster than average for all jobs. Emergencies and an aging population will continue to drive demand for this occupation. For information about careers in your area of study, visit O*NET OnLine for detailed job descriptions, education requirements, wage and employment trend information.