Self-Study Math MOOCs
Phoenix College Offers
Ten Self-Study Math MOOCs
Massive Open Online Classes, or MOOCs, are online courses that are open to a large amount of participants and utilize traditional course materials, as well as more innovative features such as videos.
These MOOCs (Massive Open Online Classes) are being offered completely free through Phoenix College. There are no registration fees and all of the required course materials are free. The courses are self-paced and registration is ongoing.
The following 10 math courses are being offered:
- Arithmetic/Prealgebra (MAT082)
- Introductory Algebra (MAT09x)
- Intermediate Algebra (MAT12x)
- College Mathematics (Math for Liberal Arts MAT141/2)
- College Algebra (MAT15x)
- Trigonometry (MAT182)
- Precalculus (MAT187)
- Brief Calculus (Business Calculus MAT212/3)
- Calculus I (MAT22x)
- Calculus II (MAT23x)
Download math MOOC registration instructions.
If you are interested in a course diagnostic for Arithmetic, Introductory Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, or College Algebra, download the diagnostic registration directions. A diagnostic is an assessment that reviews the skills needed to be successful in the course indicated by the title of the diagnostic. A diagnostic is one assessment, not complete course materials.
What is a Self-Study Course
- A self-study course is an online course that offers all of the course materials of other courses, but is designed for you to use as you wish for self-study. You can use the resources anyway you feel will help you learn.
What do these free courses offer?
- All of the course offer an ebook, video lessons for all major topics, and online homework with instant feedback and video help. There are also discussion forums for students to collaborate. An optional print copy of the text is available for $20 or less.
What topics do these courses offer?
- Each of the courses are designed to match the course competencies of the Maricopa Community College District. For a list of the course competencies, search by the course number at https://www2.maricopa.edu/
Who should consider enrolling?
- High school students preparing to enter college.
- Incoming students wanting to review their math skills before taking the math placement test.
- Current students on financial aid or scholarship that have been unsuccessful in MAT082 or MAT09x and funds are no longer available to pay for these classes.
- Students with math anxiety that have put off completing their math requirement.
- Anyone wanting to review the math skills needed to be successful in college level mathematics.
Does this class count for college credit?
- There is not official record of your registration and these courses do not appear on your official transcript.
- These courses do not count for college credit.