Medical Laboratory Science - CCL
Final Term: Current
The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Medical Laboratory Science provides education and training for employment in various medical and bioscience laboratories. Medical Laboratory Technicians (MLT's) perform technically precise laboratory procedures using quality assurance and process improvement knowledge in compliance with appropriate regulatory guidelines to ensure quality patient care, work safety, and medico-legal standards by conducting a variety of tests on various specimens submitted to clinical laboratories in settings such as but not limited to hospitals, reference laboratories, clinics, and bioscience industries to physicians, pathologists, researchers, and other healthcare providers. Students in the Medical Laboratory Science program may be exposed to potentially infectious blood, tissues, and body fluids. An Associate in Applied Science degree (AAS) is also available. Individuals completing an associate's degree often perform supervisory and management responsibilities.
Students must earn a grade of "C" or better in all courses within the program.
Application to the Medical Laboratory Science program can be obtained from a Health Professions Advisor, the Program Director, or via the Phoenix College Health Professions, Fitness and Wellness web site.
High school diploma or GED equivalent.
Completion of Program Prerequisites.
Ability to fully participate in classroom, laboratory, or clinical setting program activities.
Proof of current immunization: Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR), tuberculosis skin test (TB), varicella, tetanus, diphtheria, and Hepatitis B vaccine (HEB).
Submit current CPR card for Health Care Provider and maintain current status throughout the practicum(s).
Complete and submit health declaration form signed by a licensed health care provider.
Submit to a drug screening and demonstrate negative results.
A formal application and acceptance into the Medical Laboratory Science program is required.
Background Check Requirements
Admission to an Allied Health program requires that students be in compliance with the Maricopa County Community College District Supplemental Background Check policy. Program applications will not be accepted without a copy of an Arizona Department of Public Safety Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card. Upon conditional program admission, the student must comply with all requirements of the current MCCCD background check policy.
|Credit hour range is subject to change depending on the student's educational experiences.|
|Completion of an Associate in Applied Science degree or higher degree in a health science discipline from a regionally accredited institution of higher education recognized by Maricopa County Community College District.|
|RDG091||College Preparatory Reading (3) OR|
|Eligibility for CRE101, College Critical Reading (0)||0-3|
|BIO156||Introductory Biology for Allied Health (4) OR|
|Equivalent course or satisfactory completion of higher level biology course. (0)||0-4|
|CHM130||Fundamental Chemistry (3) AND|
|CHM130LL||Fundamental Chemistry Laboratory (1) OR|
|Equivalent course or satisfactory completion of higher level chemistry course. (0)||0-4|
|MAT102||Mathematical Concepts/Applications (3) OR|
|Equivalent course or satisfactory completion of a higher level mathematics course. (0)||0-3|
|Permission of Program Director.|
|MDL190||Clinical Laboratory Operations||2|
|MDL240||Clinical Urinalysis and Body Fluid Analysis||3|
|MDL241||Practicum: Clinical Urinalysis and Body Fluid Analysis||1|
|MDL242||Clinical Hematology and Hemostasis||6|
|MDL243||Practicum: Clinical Hematology and Hemostasis||1|
|MDL244||Clinical Immunohematology and Immunology||6|
|MDL245||Practicum: Clinical Immunohematology and Immunology||1|
|MDL247||Practicum: Clinical Microbiology||1|
|MDL249||Practicum: Clinical Chemistry||1|
|MDL290||Medical Laboratory Science Program Review||2|
- List and describe the scope of practice, the duties, and the responsibilities of a medical laboratory/clinical laboratory technician. (MDL190, MDL290)
- Describe the functions of clinical laboratories. (MDL190, MDL290)
- Apply quality assurance and quality control principles to urinalysis, body fluids, hematology, hemostasis, immunohematology, immunology, microbiology, and chemistry procedures. (MDL240, MDL242, MDL244, MDL246, MDL248)
- Apply methodologies and techniques including problem solving and troubleshooting techniques for urinalysis, body fluids, hematology, hemostasis, immunohematology, immunology, microbiology, and chemistry procedures. (MDL240, MDL241, MDL242, MDL243, MDL244, MDL245, MDL246, MDL247, MDL248, MDL249)
- Apply proper collection, processing, and analysis of biological specimens and other substances. (MDL240, MDL241, MDL242, MDL243, MDL244, MDL245, MDL246, MDL247, MDL248, MDL249)
- Practice infection control, laboratory safety, and regulatory compliance. (MDL190, MDL240, MDL241, MDL242, MDL243, MDL244, MDL245, MDL246, MDL247, MDL248, MDL249)
- Apply computer applications of laboratory information systems and laboratory instrumentation in performing clinical laboratory techniques. (MDL240, MDL241, MDL242, MDL243, MDL244, MDL245, MDL246, MDL247, MDL248, MDL249)
- Communicate and document clinical laboratory actions and clerical functions using medico-legal guidelines to support needs of the patient and public, and to aid in diagnosis and treatment. (MDL190, MDL240, MDL241, MDL242, MDL243, MDL244, MDL245, MDL246, MDL247, MDL248, MDL249, MDL290)
- Apply professional and ethical conduct, and professional development in all clinical laboratory practices. (MDL190, MDL240, MDL241, MDL242, MDL243, MDL244, MDL245, MDL246, MDL247, MDL248, MDL249, MDL290)
All information published is subject to change without notice. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of information presented, but based on the dynamic nature of the curricular process, course and program information is subject to change in order to reflect the most current information available. Please refer to "Your" PC Catalog and Student Handbook OR speak with the Program Director or Department Chairperson.