Creative Writing Competition Winning Entries 2010-2011
- A contestant must be a currently enrolled "for credit" student at one of the Maricopa Community Colleges (All faculty excluded). Entries must be works written during the students' enrollment in credit courses at an MCCCD college.
- Students who have won First Place in a category are not eligible to participate again in that category. Entries must be submitted online no later than 11:59 p.m., Friday, November 18, 2011.
- Only one entry per category may be submitted by an individual.
- Entries cannot be works from a previous publication or award winners from previous MCCCD Creative Writing contests. The only exception is a publication directly related to Maricopa County Community College District (i.e., campus newspaper, classroom newsletter).
- Maximum length:
- Poetry - 67 lines
- Fiction - 3000 words
- Essay - 2000 words
- One-Act Play/Script - 3000 words including stage direction and production notes.
- The upper right corner of each page of the entry must include Title of Entry and Page Number.
- Your name should not appear anywhere on your entry.
- Entries must be submitted online and verified by your college coordinator:
- Word-processed, using MS Word, 12 point type, double-spaced and page setup on 8 1/2 x 11” paper. Poetry entries may be single-spaced.
Scholarship Awards will be distributed in the following manner for each category: Poetry, Fiction, Essay, and One-Act Play/Script
- First Place (1) - $300
- Second Place (1) - $200
- Third Place (1) - $150
- Judges may award up to three Honorable Mention scholarships of $100 at their discretion.
*First Place winners, with the exception of Script, will be entered in the national League for Innovation in the Community College’s Student Literary Competition and be required to complete League application materials. The One-Act Play category in the League Competition does not include scripts. The highest evaluated One-Act Play in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place will be submitted to the League for Innovation for judging.