About PC Alum Ramses Ja

July 19, 2012
Tags:

Name: Ramses Ja

Hometown: Phoenix, AZ

Class Year: 2003

About

Ramses Ja ’03 is the music director of 101.1 FM “The Beat” where he can also be heard as a host and DJ. He also appears on KTVK-3TV. He graduated from Phoenix College in 2003 with an associate’s degree in business and went on to study marketing at Arizona State University’s W.P. Carey School of Business, where he graduated in 2005.

Favorite Memory

I received the Ursa Award in 2003. I really felt honored to be named as a candidate, so winning the award itself was a proud moment for me

Favorite Class

I always had a passion for music and entertainment, so my music classes were my favorite. The most memorable was Studio Recording with Jamison Weddle. That class provided the foundation for just about everything I do professionally, and I am happy to say that I still contact Mr. Weddle to this day if I ever need advice!

Favorite Instructor

Respectfully speaking, Dr. Camilla Westenberg is my favorite teacher, not just from Phoenix College, but in all my years of learning. I have been in her African American Literature class, the president of the Black Student Union (of which she is the advisor), and I continue to work with her to this day. I consider one of my dearest friends.

Future Goals

I have been in talks with BET, Power 106 in Los Angeles, and Comcast, so my next move will likely take me to either New York or Los Angeles. It’s looking like television will be my next frontier that I will conquer, so this is a very exciting time for me. Either way, I feel prepared for anything the future can throw at me…and I owe a lot of that to the foundation I received at Phoenix College.