ACE Alumna Contributes to Community

December 07, 2012
Tags:
Jacklyn Angel ACE Success Story

Jacklyn Angel began her studies in the Phoenix College ACE program when she was a junior at Carl Hayden High School. ACE students, while still in high school, take college courses up to 24 credits while participating in campus activities. After finishing the high school program, Jacklyn enrolled full-time at Phoenix College, eventually choosing journalism as her major.

Such a stellar student, she was selected as salutatorian for her class of 2008 at the annual commencement ceremony. That day was especially notable because Jacklyn became the first member of her family to graduate from college.

“College was absolutely not in my plans because I had been convinced it wasn’t for me. The ACE program gave me the support and encouragement to go to college,” she explained.

Jacklyn points out that the skills she learned in the ACE program helped her succeed in her high school classes and put her on the path to the degree she earned from ASU’s Cronkite School. Also, she credits the writing skills she developed with giving her an edge when it came time to submitting personal statements for scholarship applications.

Now, she is the coordinator of communications and special projects at Friendly House in downtown Phoenix. Since 1920, Friendly House has served the citizens of Arizona and those seeking to become a citizen by providing the tools, training and support needed to attain sustaining, self-sufficiency.

“I like that at Friendly House I am contributing to a longstanding, great mission of transformational work,” said Jackyln. “The ACE program and Phoenix College game me a hand up and now I get to work here where I can give someone a hand up just like I received. It’s a continuation of a circle of giving.”