Meet PCAA Board Member - Shelly Lockett

November 14, 2013
Tags:
Picture of Board Member Shelly Lockett

Shelly Lockett speaks of her days at Phoenix College as “life changing.” The newest addition to the college’s Alumni Association’s Executive Board of Directors is currently earning her masters in Art Communications Studies at Arizona State University. Back in 2007, she arrived at the steps to higher education because she had dropped out of high school.

“What brought me to PC was to get my GED because I knew that I needed to do something for my daughter as well as myself and my wonderful husband Paul,” said Lockett. “I began with a career choice in nursing, but ended up with an associate degree and went on to ASU. I am currently a full-time, graduate student at the ASU West campus.” 

She added, “I was a very proud Phoenix College Bear Scholar for six semesters. The Bear Scholarship changed my life and enabled me not only to become part a group but to integrate myself with a college community that I believe cared about me not only as a student but also as an individual. I believe that being a student at PC was one of the most memorable times in my life. I am grateful for the faculty of professional and dedicated instructors and the many student peers I remain in contact with today.”

Being active on the PCAA board and the Hall of Fame Committee is Lockett’s way of giving back.  She said she wants to be a part of helping others through the steps they are taking to build their individual identities, just as she was given the chance to build hers.