2014 Eric Fischl Lecture Series & Student Art Awards
Steve Martin in Conversation with Eric Fischl
In partnership with Phoenix Art Museum's Contemporary Forum, Phoenix College will present the 10th anniversary of the Eric Fischl Lecture Series and PC Student Art Awards on April 9, 2014. This year's guest lecturer will be Steve Martin, an avid art collector. Thanks to the generous sponsorship of Climatec, the event is free and open to the public as a live video feed, in the Great Hall, where award-winning student artwork is also on display.
Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at 7:00 p.m.
Phoenix Art Museum, 1625 N. Central Avenue Phoenix, AZ
Free and open to the public. Seating is available in the Great Hall at 6:00 p.m. This lecture will be viewed as a live feed in the Great Hall.
Parking is limited. Use of Metro Light Rail is encouraged.
Eric Fischl Lecture Series and Vanguard Award
World-renowned artist and Phoenix College alumnus Eric Fischl, an American contemporary realist painter and sculptor, celebrates his connection to the college by returning each year to present the Eric Fischl Lecture Series. Each year, he brings a different guest to highlight the event. As part of the lecture series, Fischl will present two Phoenix College art students with the prestigious Vanguard Award, which includes a $2,500 cash prize for each student. The prizes are presented to students whose artwork receives "Best in Show" in the college's 2014 Student Art Competition. The award-winning student artwork will be on display in Phoenix Art Museum's Great Hall before and after the lecture on April 9th.
About Special Guest Steve Martin
As an actor, comedian, author, playwright, screenwriter, producer and musician—Steve Martin is one of the most diversified performers and acclaimed artists of his generation. Martin has been successful as a writer of and performer in some of the most popular movies of recent film history—appearing in more than 50 films over the course of his career. Martin was most recently elected to receive The Board of Governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Honorary Award at the Academy's 5th Annual Governors Awards. He has also hosted the Academy Awards® three times.
As an author, Martin has written several books including his most recent, An Object of Beauty which is being developing into a feature film. He has also written a bestselling collection of comic pieces, Pure Drivel, a bestselling novella, Shopgirl, as well as plays including Picasso at the Lapin Agile, children's books and an art collection book.
Ever evolving his body of work Martin is also a Grammy® Award winning musician who found his love for the banjo at the age of 17. He most recently collaborated with Edie Brickell on the critically acclaimed album Love Has Come For You, which combines Martin's five-string banjo work with Brickell's vivid vocals. Martin and Brickell took home the Grammy® Award for "Best American Roots Song" for the song "Love Has Come For You," off the album of the same name.
2014 Student Art Award Winners
Eric Fischl Vanguard Award
- Meghan Canty – Urban Sprawl and Desert Night
- Paint Co-Lab: Kasha Banko, James Pettis, Leslie Barton, Lee Brown, Natasha Dickinson, Claudia Castro, Kris Manzanares, Linda Fitsgerald, Deanna Diehl, Marco Turrubiartes, Jim Jefferies, Daniela Moneta, Jose Rodriguez, Tracy Smith, Alan Pobanz, Al Merino – Happy/Sad Studies
- 1st Place: Ben Peck – Future Stones (coprulities stones, porcelain, resin, cement polyurethane, found objects)
- 2nd Place: Paint Co-Lab: Kasha Banko, James Pettis, Leslie Barton, Lee Brown, Natasha Dickinson, Claudia Castro, Kris Manzanares, Linda Fitsgerald, Deanna Diehl, Marco Turrubiartes, Jim Jefferies, Daniela Moneta, Jose Rodriguez, Tracy Smith, Alan Pobanz, Al Merino – Happy/Sad Studies (works on paper and wood easel)
- 3rd Place: Margaret Finnerty – Packing the Remains (mixed media)
- 1st Place: Daniela Moneta – Cat Running Underground (acrylic on wood)
- 2nd Place: Claudia Lopez – Untitled (mixed media)
- 3rd Place: Ben Peck – Lockwood and Expectancy (acrylic on wood panel)
- 1st Place: Jillian Rivera – Shadows of the Afternoon (digital print)
- 2nd Place: Shari Trennert - Daydream (cyanotype)
- 3rd Place: Roberto Romero – Untitled (ink jet print)
If you have any questions related to this event, please contact Christy Flora, Alumni Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 602.285.7652.
Celebrating the 10th Anniversary of the Eric Fischl Lecture Series