Dr. Albert Celoza

April 10, 2014

How long have you been at Phoenix College? I’ve been at PC since August of 1987.

What is your educational background? I earned a PhD from Claremont in government from the School of Politics and Economics, a doctorate of philosophy, as well as three master’s degrees, including a master’s in theology and religious studies from the University of San Francisco.

What drove you to what you were studying? I truly enjoy reading and studying a lot. I’m interested in the political process – though, I would not likely participate in the process as a candidate. Instead, I enjoy studying politics and government in an academic way. I am interested in the structure - how constitutions are designed and evolve.

What classes do you teach at Phoenix College? I teach global awareness classes, including World Religions, World Politics, Issues in World Politics, American National Government, Political Ideologies, and US Constitution.

What do you hope your students take away from your courses? My hope is that the students who take my classes become more aware of the structure and processes of government. Some of my students have not only learned those but have mastered those, and have gone on to run for public office. One former student currently serves in the Arizona House of Representatives and another was the former president of the Arizona Senate.

Why do you recommend Phoenix College? It is very important to have the opportunity to explore and to discover the things you are interested in or might want to do. Attending Phoenix College is a cost-effective option to allow you to make those discoveries. Another advantage to PC is the small class sizes that really allow the faculty to be able to interact with the students.

What advice do you have for students? Take classes, not necessarily because of the subject or topic, but seek out teachers who you can learn from. When you are asked about a teacher, you don’t necessarily recall what the teacher may have taught you, but you do recall the effect the teacher had on you – those that inspire you, help you to see a different way, make you more analytical… that is what is really important.