Students are strongly encouraged to prepare prior to taking their placement test, please refer to the study materials & resources listed at the bottom of this page.
No Appointment Needed
Hours of Service:
Monday - Thursday: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Friday: 10:00 AM - 2:00PM
Saturday (August 20th only) 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
New to College?
- Students who are new to college or those without college-level credits in English, reading or math are required to complete placement testing in all three subject areas in a single test session. Although the test is not timed, please allow 2.5 hours to complete the entire series. Testing Services is located in the lower-level of the Hannelly Center
Students who have earned college-level credits in English, reading or math or need to retest?
- Students who have earned college credit in English, reading or math; or who wish to retest may test in a single subject area.
Current, valid photo identification is required for all testing services; approved list below:
- Driver's License or State ID
- High School/College ID (current school year)
- Military ID
- Tribal ID
- Naturalization Card “Green Card”
ACCUPLACER Placement Exam
Accuplacer is a comprehensive, computerized, adaptive testing system designed to place students into the appropriate levels of English, reading and math. Placement results are used to determine appropriate course selection based on student knowledge and skills; it is not possible to pass or fail a placement test.
The test series consists of three untimed subject areas: English (WritePlacer), reading & math. The WritePlacer exam requires examinees to provide a writing sample (300-500 words) in response to a specific prompt; reading and math utilize a multiple-choice format.
Student typically receive their results the same day, however you may receive a “pending notification” in lieu of a score on the WritePlacer test. This happens for a variety of reasons and is not indicative of the course placement. Scores are typically available within two business days in your Student Center at my.maricopa.edu
To access your scores follow these steps:
- Navigate to my.maricopa.edu
- Select Student Center (Under Student Tools) and log in
- Select Test Scores link
- Print out a copy of your Writeplacer Score for BearTrax
You must have test results for Writeplacer prior to attending a BearTrax Session, please take your original test scores with you to your or BearTrax session.
Prepare for Accuplacer
Students are strongly encouraged to prepare for the placement test, please refer to websites below for preparation material. Most of the resources identified below are free or very low cost:
- Free Online Accuplacer Practice Tests & Study Materials (Longsdale Publishing)
- What is Accuplacer?
- Accuplacer Official Web-Based Study App
- Accuplacer ITunes App
- Free Self-Study Math Moocs - covers material from Arithmetic to Calculus III taught by PC Faculty
- EdReady - recommended by Phoenix College Math Dept.
- English for Everyone - English & reading
- HippoCampus - English & math
- IXL - math & language arts
- KHAN Academy
- Math TV - math videos
- Patrick - Just Math Tutor - math resources
- Purplemath - math resources
- Free Accuplacer workshop, taught on campus
Phoenix College Library offers several prep books that you may borrow – check them out!
CELSA (Combined English Language Skills Assessment)
If English is not your native language you are strongly encourage to take the CELSA course placement test to evaluate your college readiness for English and reading courses.
Placement test scores are valid for 2 years from the date of testing. If a student placed "Reading Exempt" on their reading placement exam, that particular score will not expire.
If you have any questions please contact Testing Services at email@example.com, or call 602.285.7844 for further information.
Students with Disabilities: If you require test accommodations due to a documented disability, please contact Testing Services for information concerning your needs at 602.285.7844.