Skip to main content

Top Nav

Steps to Success

Enrollment FAQ

Do I have to have a social security number to attend Phoenix College?

No, students do not have to have a social security number to attend PC. Students without a social security number will be issued an identification number that is to be used during their career at Phoenix College.

Do I have to be a United States citizen to attend Phoenix College?

No, the Maricopa College District cannot discriminate nor refuse admittance to anyone wishing to attend any of the Maricopa community colleges based on their residency status.

Do I need to take a placement test?

Students attending college for the first time must take the Accuplacer placement test before they can take an English, reading or math class. This test is free of charge, offered on a walk-in basis, and students wanting to take any one of these classes need to take the Accuplacer placement test before seeing an academic advisor or counselor for assistance in planning their class schedule. Accuplacer test scores will be provided to students immediately upon completion of the test, and should be shared with the academic advisor in order to enroll in the appropriate level of math, English or reading classes.

Students that have attended another college or university must have their course transcripts forwarded to the Admissions & Records office at Phoenix College. In order to know whether already completed courses will be accepted by Phoenix College, students should contact Admissions and Records at 602.285.7777 and request that their transcripts be evaluated once received at Phoenix College.

Should I attend orientation?

Yes, all new to college students that plan to complete a degree or transfer to a university are required to attend Bear Trax, an academic advising and orientation session.

After taking your placement test, visit Bear Trax. Select the Bear Trax session most convenient for you. Log onto and enroll online in the Bear Trax session of your choice using the three letter code NSO or the five digit class number of the session you wish to attend. If you need assistance, call the Contact Center at 602.285.7777 or visit the Welcome Center in the Hannelly Center.

All new to college students are also required to attend My College Orientation scheduled for Saturday, August 17, 2013. My College Orientation will provide opportunities to get to know the Phoenix College campus, meet faculty and staff, locate your classrooms before classes start in the Fall, and meet new students! For more information contact the Welcome Center.

Why should I meet with an Academic Advisor?

Meeting with your academic advisor is needed to help complete your Individual Academic Plan and to determine the proper course selection based on your program of study or major.

New to college students will enroll in a Bear Trax advising session by. Students can log on to to enroll.

I don't know what I want to get my degree in. Do I have to choose now?

If you haven't picked a major yet, the Career Services center can help you choose a major and can provide personal guidance in career development. They can help you explore your interests, skills and values, and there are several assessment tools available to help you narrow down your choices.

You can also explore MCCCD's career planner to learn which career options are suited for different majors


When should I apply for Financial Aid?

You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and submit any requested information to the PC Financial Aid Office by the priority deadline in order to have your application reviewed before the tuition due date. Financial aid applications received after this date will still be considered for aid, but students will not actually receive their award letter until after the start of the semester. View the Financial Aid website for more details.

How can I get a scholarship?

Students are encouraged to complete the general scholarship application through the Maricopa College's Foundation online STARS scholarship application program. There are other scholarships awarded by other businesses, corporations and organizations in the community. Scholarship workshops and university transfer scholarships provide additional opportunities for those who qualify. View the Scholarship website for more details.

What is the Student Tuition Payment Plan?

The Maricopa County Community College District offers a Student Tuition Payment Plan (STPP) as a convenient online payment option. Students who choose to use the STPP may select installment plans that are spread over several months, depending on the length of the semester.

Payment options include Automatic Bank Payments (ACH) and debit or credit card methods. There is no interest, and enrollment is easy. In fact, enrolling in a plan early will result in a lower down payment and more payment options. View the Payment Plan web page for details.