Federal Work Study
The Federal Work-Study Program is a need-based financial aid program that is available to students who demonstrate financial need as determined by FAFSA results.
- You must seek employment and secure a job on campus. Contact Career Services for assistance locating a job or check the online FWS Job Postings Here .
- Students who on are Maximum Timeframe are now eligible for FWS based on their need/eligibility.
- You must be enrolled in a minimum of six (6) credits hours in a semester to receive Federal Work-Study.
- Federal Work-Study earning should be monitored by both the employing department and the student to ensure that earnings do not exceed the work-study allocation.
- You may work up to twenty (20) hours per week.
- Pay Rate will be determined by Career Services based on the duties ($8.15-$9.00 per hour).
- Your paychecks are processed bi-weekly and funds earned may be used to pay your educational expenses.
- Funds and employment positions are limited and are available on a first come first served basis.
- Complete a Phoenix College FWS Request Form and submit it to the Financial Aid Office. The form is available at the Financial Aid Office and/or at the Career Services.
- The Financial Aid Office will award you Federal Work-Study and inform you of your eligibility via your message center.
- If you are eligible for Federal Work-Study and you are NEW to the Federal Work-Study program please visit the Career Services to review the current work-study job openings on campus.
- You will complete a first-time orientation at the Career Services
- The Career Services will provide you the contact information for the department in which you are interested in working. The department will interview you.
- You will complete a NEW hire packet at Employee Services.
- If you had Federal Work-Study in the past semester and you want to work in the same department then you will need to see your supervisor.
- Your supervisor will submit the FWS Employment form to the Financial Aid Office via email (email@example.com). Please allow 3-5 business days for processing .
- The Financial Aid Office will inform your supervisor via email that their request has been processed. Your supervisor will inform of when you can begin working.
Supervisor-FWS Hiring Process
- Complete the FWS Employment form after the student has been assigned an employee ID# and email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow 3-5 business days for processing.
- Financial Aid Office will initiate a FWS contract through HRMS.
- Department Head will be notified to approve the FWS contract in HRMS.
- The student should not begin working until the contract is fully complete. Check status in HRMS - Student may begin working when HRMS status indicates "Job Created".
- Contact Patricia Carrillo-Martinez at 57413 for further information.
What is Federal Work Study (FWS)?
How will I know if I have been awarded?
How can I find a FWS position?
How many hours will I work?
What will I earn?
I found a position. What are the next steps?
Supervisor - FWS Hiring Process
Supervisor - FWS Hiring Status
1. Click MCCD Custom
2. Click MCCD Payroll
3. Click USE
4. Click Job Hire Documents
5. Enter the student’s Employee ID Number in theEmpllD: field
6. Click the Search button
7. Under Document Status it will indicate one of the following: