Computer Use Policies in Computer Commons
Follow these simple rules to ensure access to the computers.
The Privilege of Using Computers in the Computer Commons.
- Students are allowed to use the lab for academic pursuits relating to their education.
- Computers are available on a first-come, first-served basis; however, students who are working on class assignments have first priority.
The use of technologies in the Computer Commons is a privilege and access can be revoked if any one of the following occur.
- Viewing pornography.
- Use of lab computers for business.
- Use more than one computer at a time.
- Children in the Computer Commons, even if children are supervised by an adult.
- Cell phone use, please be considerate.
- FOOD or DRINKS, leave your food/drinks at the Computer Commons entrance.
- Account sharing. It is your responsibility to keep your User Name and Password confidential.
- Loud talking and disrupting others, please keep your noise level to a minimum.
- Illegal coping of music, software and copyrighted material. According to the federal Copyright Act of 1976, it is illegal to copy any electronic or printed copyrighted materials including: software, music, audiovisual works, graphics, literary, choreographic works, and pantomimes…
The Maricopa County Community College District provides its students and employees wide access to information and technologies for educational purposes. As a result, users are required to observe Constitutional and other legal mandates aimed at safeguarding equipment, networks, data and software that are acquired and maintained with public funds.
- Copyright Guidelines for Computer Software
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- District's Statement on Computer Software
- Technology Resource Standards
- Technology Resource Complaint Process
- Q&A About Maricopa's Technology Resource Standards
Students not adhering by these policies listed above and MCCD Technology Resource Standards will result in the following disciplinary steps.
- Verbal Warning, provide the student with information of the policy violated.
- Written Warning, provide notice in writing of the policy violated.
- If the misconduct continues after Verbal and Written warnings, lab supervisor will take action of revoking lab access by disabling the user account for the semester.
- A Student Disruption/Discipline Report will be submitted to the Dean of Student Affairs, and Safety Office.
- Students wishing to challenge the Disruption/Discipline report and revoked lab access must follow the Grievance Process stated in the Student Handbook page C-5.
To obtain a user account to gain access to the Computer Commons resources an Alumni must complete the following EACH SEMESTER. A semester is considered Spring, Fall and Summer.
- Pay the $10 Computer Commons Technology fee at the cashier’s office.
- Bring a current semester schedule to the Computer Commons’ Help desk that reflects a paid Computer Commons Technology fee.
PC Online Student Resources
- Provides online resource necessary for navigating your online course.
- Steps For Online Success” link which leads students to the new resources.
- New Student Expectations document.
|CPD classes Online Assessments||CPD|
|Puntos de partida: An Invitation to Spanish, 8/e||SPA|
|Pasajes: Lengua, 6/e||SPA|
|Dos mundos: Comunicación y comunidad, 7/e||SPA|
|Prego!: An Invitation to Italian, 7/e||ITA|
Free or Open Source Software
Phoenix College does not promote or support any of these programs or services; they are simply being provided as a resource. Upgrades may require additional cost.
Free and open productivity suite. OpenOffice.org 3 is the leading open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more. It is available in many languages and works on all common computers. It stores all your data in an international open standard format and can also read and write files from other common office software packages. It can be downloaded and used completely free of charge for any purpose.
OxygenOffice Professional - Office Suite
OxygenOffice Professional(OOOP, O2OP) is an enhanced version of free OpenOffice.org what is a multi-platform office productivity suite.OxygenOffice Professional contains more extras like templates, cliparts, samples, fonts and VBA support. Get 3.2.1 Group-Office groupware http://sourceforge.net
You can get a blog started in less time than it takes you to read this sentence. All you need is an email address. You’ll get your own WordPress.com address (like you.wordpress.com, you can switch to a custom address later if you’d like), a selection of great free and customizable designs for your blog (we call them themes), 3 gigabytes of file storage (that’s about 2,500 pictures!) and all the other great features listed here. You can blog as much as you want for free, your blog can be public to the world or private for just your friends.
Free account include:
•2GB of free storage
Weebly - Create a free website and a free blog
Named one of TIME's 50 Best Websites, Weebly has an easy, drag & drop interface to create your own website. It's free, powerful, and professional.