Our goal is to help students develop the skills to become confident, life-long learners. We are guided by the learning centered principles of evaluation, communication, collaboration, and responsibility.
LC Services for PC Students:
- Drop In Tutoring: FREE in-person, no appointment needed, academic tutoring
- Writing Center: FREE in-person support for all academic writing, reading, and study concerns
- Online Tutoring: 5 hours per semester of FREE online tutoring through Smarthinking
- Brush Up Step Up: FREE online, self-paced study program to prepare students for the Accuplacer placement exam content
- Access to trained staff to support your academic success
- Access to computers, collaboration rooms, and study areas
- Use of calculators, anatomy models, textbooks, and laptops in the Learning Commons
- FREE learning handouts
- Textbooks and learning materials for some OER classes
LC Services for PC Faculty:
- Faculty requests for student support
- Classroom visits or tours of the Learning Commons
- Collaboration on individual education plans for at-risk students
- Reports on student tutoring sessions
- Reports on student time at the Learning Commons
- Tutoring in the Learning Commons in lieu of required committee work
LC Services for Maricopa Students and Community Members:
- HESI A2 Workshops: prepares any Maricopa student for the nursing entrance exam; includes tutoring services
- ESL Conversation Circles: program for students and members of the community that wish to enhance English listening and speaking skills
Student Survival Guide -provides information on what every student should know about Phoenix College resources to help you make it to graduation and/or transfer.
Learning Commons' Resources - the Learning Commons has compiled links to websites to support your learning.
College-Wide Tutoring: Spring 2016
One-on-one tutoring sessions at the Learning Commons are on a first-come, first-served basis. Use your Cub Card to check in at the Check-In Station.
Tutoring is available FREE to all Phoenix College students for 20 minutes per day per subject for the academic classes in which you are currently enrolled at Phoenix College for which we have tutors. If time permits, you may have additional tutoring, but priority is given to students that have not yet been tutored.
How it Works:
1- Use the Tutoring Schedule or call ahead to find a tutor.
2- Come to the Lower Level of the Fannin Library, no appointment needed.
3- Stop at the Check-In Station when you are ready to see a tutor and check-in. Your Cub Card makes it faster.
4- Get settled into the zone for the service that you want.
5- Have your questions ready for the tutor and work on your assignment. Your tutor will see you first-come, first-served.
What to Bring:
- Yourself as early in the semester and as often as you can.
- Your class notes, syllabus, textbook, assignment, and homework.
- Your valid Phoenix College student ID (Cub Card) to check out resources.
- Other students to start a study group.
Ask for a tour. We want you to use the resources that will help you succeed.
Faculty Request for Student Support
Faculty, if you would like to have your student work on specific learning skills, please use the Learning Skills Referral Form.
For the Writing Center, please use the Writing Center Referral Form.
You may send the referral form with the student (keep a copy for yourself) or you may email it to the LC Technician or Coordinator.
The Writing Center assists with any writing project. The tutors guide you in the writing process, but do not grade, edit, or proofread your writing. Our tutors will help you to understand your assignment, develop a thesis statement, organize sentences and paragraphs, learn grammar, and much more. We also help with speeches and essays for scholarship and transfer applications.
ESL Conversation Circles: Spring 2016 Flier
Conversation Circles, led by a trained ESL Tutor, is an informal gathering of people who meet to practice their English listening and speaking skills. You may attend as many or as few gatherings as your schedule permits. You don't need to be a student to participate, so bring family and friends for lots of fun. There is a small fee of $7.00 per person per semester. Conversation Circles meets Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday: 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM. The location will be provided when you sign up at the Learning Commons Reception desk, L023G.
Phoenix College provides 5 hours of FREE online tutoring per semester for each student. For more information and where to go if you need support for this service, please review Using Online Tutoring. To access online tutoring, click on "Online Tutoring" under the "Support Services" menu on the left of this page or use the following link: Connect to SmartThinking.
Brush Up Step Up
Self-paced online study program to prepare you for the Phoenix College placement exam. To qualify for this FREE program, you must have taken the Accuplacer placement exam at least once or been out of school for 2 or more years. The program covers concepts in reading, writing, and math. To sign up, come to the Learning Commons Reception desk, L023G.
A tutor will come to your classroom to talk about the resources in the Learning Commons. Or you may bring your class to the Learning Commons. Faculty, please contact the LC Technician to set up a time for your students to learn about the support services that are available for student success in the Learning Commons.
HESI A2 Workshop: March 2016 Flyer
The Learning Commons provides a workshop to prepare you for the HESI A2 exam. The fee for the workshop is $25.00 per person, but includes tutoring post workshop at the Phoenix College Learning Commons. You need to be a student at one of the Maricopa Community Colleges. To register, please contact the Learning Commons Office Coordinator at 602-285-7808.
Accuplacer Workshop: Coming Spring 2016
Download the FREE PDF of the Accuplacer Study Guide by Study Guide Zone which has both free and for cost resources and links to prepare you for the Accuplacer placement exam. Mometrix has tips on how to pass the Accuplacer exam and Mometrix videos on YouTube. Phoenix College Testing Services has more information on Accuplacer preparation and testing requirements at Phoenix College.
Want to Join Our Team?
If you are a friendly, patient, dependable person and like helping others, come join our team. We welcome volunteers.
Please submit an application and appropriate documentation at the Learning Commons Reception desk, L023G or send scanned application materials to the Learning Commons Office Coordinator. Transcripts are required for all positions.
- PC Pay Scale for Temporary Learning Enhancement Positions (FY2016)