Phoenix College has distributed the first allocation of CARES Act Higher Education Emergency Relief Funds (HEERF) directly to students.
Students who qualified and received a CARES emergency grant in the first allocation of funding disbursement were enrolled in a PC financial aid eligible certificate, degree, transfer pathway, or workforce programs prior to March 13, 2020, and had a valid 2019-2020 FAFSA on file at PC during the Spring 2020 semester.
CARES Act HEERF Eligibility Criteria:
- Enrolled in at least 3 credits of credit or clock hour courses as of March 13, 2020
- US Citizen or permanent resident, or refugee, or hold a Visa type of U or T
- Possess a valid social security number
- Prior to March 13, enrolled in face-to-face classes (not only online classes)
- Completed High School (diploma), GED or homeschool certification
- If male and over the age of 18, registered for selective service
- Currently enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program
- Currently meeting Satisfactory Academic Performance (SAP)
- Not in loan repayment default or grant overpayment
- Has not been state or federally convicted for drug possession or sale
- Has not fraudulently received Title IV loans in excess of annual or aggregate limits
- Funding is subject to the rules and eligibility requirements found in Section 18004 of the CARES Act and in subsequent notice(s) from the United States Department of Education
If you qualify, you will receive email notification and will receive an emergency grant posted to the refund method listed in your Student Center beginning the week of May 11, 2020. Please monitor your Maricopa student email for these updates.
There will be a second allocation of funds available in the near future. This second wave of support will be funded with the HSI (Hispanic Serving Institution) allocation targeting students meeting HEA (Higher Education Authorization) eligibility requirements. Students qualifying for these funds will be those who have no FAFSA on file and complete the CARES Act Emergency Grant Request Form to determine level of impact due to COVID-19 and self-certification required by the U.S. Department of Education. Please monitor your Maricopa student email for these updates.
For more information, visit the U.S. Department of Education CARES Act page.
To review a list of frequently asked questions, see the Office of Higher Education's CARES Act FAQs PDF.
For information on how Phoenix College distributed funds to students, see the CARES Act Disclosures & Reporting Requirements