Coronal Polishing Course Information
This course is designed to prepare practicing dental assistants for the Arizona Coronal Polishing examination. This lecture will be for the experienced dental assistant who has an entry-level understanding of dental terminology, dental sciences, and dental procedures. Course content will follow the Dental Assisting National Board’s described exam content areas and will be presented in an active online learning environment.
- Define oral prophylaxis and explain the rational for coronal polishing
- Describe the appearance and formation of various dental deposits
- Clinically apply appropriate coronal polishing technique and adjunct methods for plaque and stain removal
- Identify characteristics of polishing agents and their appropriate application
- Understand the dental assistants role in oral hygiene instruction, record keeping and appropriate infection control protocol related to the coronal polishing procedure
The CCDE reserves the right to cancel any course which does not receive sufficient enrollment. In the event of course cancelation, registrants will receive a full tuition refund.
Limited Attendance: Enrollment is on a first-come basis.
To perform coronal polishing procedures in the state of Arizona under the general supervision of a licensed dentist, a dental assistant must hold an Arizona Coronal Polishing Certificate.
To qualify, one must:
1. Pass DANB's Coronal Polish exam found in the "Coronal Polish Exam for Arizona Residents";
(CPEAR) [Form A] application packet (administered by DANB),
2. Submit an Arizona Coronal Polishing Clinical Skills Affidavit [Form B] completed by a licensed dentist or coronal polishing educator/course instructor,
3. Receive the Arizona Coronal Polishing Certificate, sent upon successful completion of the DANB Coronal Polish exam and submission of the Arizona Coronal Polishing Clinical Skills Affidavit to DANB
Information regarding the Coronal Polish Exam administered by the Dental Assisting National Board
(DANB) can be found by logging onto www.danb.org or by calling (800) 367-3262.
A complete list of DANB’s written exam sites can be found by logging onto www.danb.org and downloading the “DANB Fact Sheet, Exam Application, Locations/Schedules and Other Information.” Please note: DANB is the only organization who sponsors the exam. Registration for the exam is made through DANB only.
1. Submit an Arizona Coronal Polishing (AZCP) Exam Application (Form A), an AZCP Clinical Skills Affidavit (Form B - completed by a licensed dentist) to DANB
2. Submit payment of the appropriate fees: $275 ($150-exam fee; $75 nonrefundable application fee; $50 certificate fee)
No. The educational course is optional and is designed to prepare the dental assistant to take the exam.
No. A dental assistant must be certified in Coronal Polishing. The Arizona Dental Practice Act states: “A dental assistant may polish the natural and restored surfaces of the teeth under the general supervision of a dentist licensed pursuant to this chapter if the assistant has passed an examination approved by the Board. (Section 32-1291B).
Yes. As laws differ from one state to another all assistants whether they are certified in another state or not must take the DANB exam specific to Arizona.
“Polish” as defined by BODEX means for the purpose of Article 7 only, a procedure limited to the removal of plaque and extrinsic stain from exposed natural and restored tooth surfaces, utilizing an appropriate rotary instrument with rubber cup or brush and polishing agent. IMPORTANT!! “This procedure shall not be intended or interpreted by itself as an oral prophylaxis.
“General supervision” as defined by BODEX means for the purpose of Article 7 only, a licensed dentist is available for consultation, whether or not the dentist is in the office, regarding procedures or treatment which the dentist has authorized and for which the dentist remains responsible.” Only an assistant certified in coronal polish may perform coronal polish under general supervision.