Phoenix College Dental Department offers a fall and spring semester course for those interested in applying for an Anesthesia Certificate in Arizona, and to prepare for the Western Regional Examining Board (WREB) Anesthesia written and clinical exams.
DHE227 Dental Anesthesia Lecture/Lab is a full semester course. It requires a minimum of 80 hours of online, self-study work, and meets from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm daily for a 3-day clinic lab session prior to the WREB Anesthesia Exam.
Students enrolling in the 2021 Fall Local Anesthesia course MUST be registered no later than Monday, August 16, 2021, when the online self-study begins. This date is firm. Students will need to be comfortable with online instruction and testing technology, must be self-directed and commit to 6-8 hours of study time per week to read the textbook, complete all activities and the online exams.
This course is structured to meet the WREB testing agency timelines that the WREB written exam in local anesthesia be taken in a minimum of 15 days prior to the first day of the WREB clinical exam in anesthesia and no more than 60 days prior. For more information on the WREB exam visit www.wreb.org.
Registration is through the Phoenix College Admissions and Records Department:
Registration begins with obtaining Phoenix College special permission through the Center for Continuing Dental Education. There are three class sections in which to register. These are special permission classes, and you will be granted authorization to complete registration once documentation of your Dental Hygiene license and current CPR card are provided. Documents can be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Three Sections are:
- Online Lecture, DHE 227 and LAB DHE227 and a CEU LAB (class numbers issued by the CCDE)
- A copy of your Dental Hygiene license (or proof of program graduation) and current CPR card must be sent to the Dental Department prior to registering for the three sections listed above by email to email@example.com
Important Dates: Registration Deadline, Monday, August 16, 2021
- Online Self Study Session Begins: August 16, 2021
- On-Site/Hands-On Session: 3 Day Local Anesthesia/Nitrous Clinic December 3, 2021 through December 5, 2021
A syllabus, reading and homework assignments will be sent to registrants just prior to the starting date of the class. The textbook with DVD, Handbook of Local Anesthesia by Stanley Malamed, (6th Edition), ISBN: 9780323074124, as well as the Handbook of Nitrous Oxide and Oxygen Sedation by Morris Clark (4th Edition), ISBN: 9781455745470 or ISBN: 9780323226011, can be purchased online at www.us.elsevierhealth.com/.
- A thorough review of head and neck anatomy
- Local anesthesia techniques
- Administration of nitrous oxide analgesia
- Identification and treatment of medical emergencies
- Preparation for the WREB examination in local anesthesia
For lab use, please bring
- Two sterile aspirating syringes
- Sterile hemostat
- Blood pressure cuff and stethoscope
- Clinical attire and patient safety glasses
Note: Students unable to receive anesthesia for medical reasons will need to provide a patient for the lab sessions. This course meets the licensure requirements in all WREB states and special requirements of Arizona, Washington, and New Mexico.
Limited Attendance: Class size is limited to 30. Registration deadline is 6:00 pm Monday, August 16, 2021. The full tuition fee must accompany the registration form.
Lab On-Site Location: Phoenix College Dental Clinic, 3144 N. 7th Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85013 (Corner of 7th Avenue and Flower Street)
Tuition: Approximate tuition - fees vary slightly depending on residency status.
$1,269 – Maricopa County AZ Resident (residency – must live in Arizona for one year)
$1,489 – Non-Resident
Exam: A separate examination and fee by the Western Regional Examining Board, as well as an application fee to the Arizona State Board of Dental Examiners (ASBDE) are required to obtain a valid local anesthesia certificate by ASBDE. Visit www.wreb.org (under dental hygiene exams) and http://dentalboard.az.gov/ for more information.
To enroll participants must complete New Student enrollment or update existing student Information at My.maricopa.edu or in person through the enrollment center
- Create MEID account and password
- Apply for Admission · Submit Identification
- For enrollment inquiries call: Hannelly Enrollment Center (602) 285- 7777
Registration for the course can be completed online at My.maricopa.edu or in person through the Enrollment Center. Courses requiring class permission include the additional information below:
- The Local Anesthesia and Dental Laser Education course require current documentation. Email the Dental Department with a copy of current Dental Hygiene/Dentist license and CPR card to firstname.lastname@example.org with a student ID number for completion of class permission.
- To register for the course(s) in person the Hannelly Enrollment Center is located on the main campus at 1202 W. Thomas Road, Phoenix, AZ 85013
For Course offering inquiries, call: (602) 285-7331 or email at email@example.com
*requires class permission
Courses noted with class permission requirement will be granted authorization to complete registration with the submission of a copy current Dental Hygiene License or Dental License and current CPR card to the dental department.
Copy of documentation must be sent by email to:
In person courses will be located at Phoenix College Dental Clinic
3144 N. 7th Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85013