The Culinary Studies Program is designed to teach basic cooking principles and techniques and to provide a hands-on experience in a fully equipped, state-of-the-art teaching kitchen and dining room. The emphasis is on the skills needed for employment in a commercial food operation where food is prepared and served in volume.
It is critical to have working experience in your field of expertise. Phoenix College graduates aspiring chefs and managers who move into the industry and bring together the fundamentals they have learned with hands-on experience to become the workforce of the future.
Note: Phoenix College offers two pathways. The Culinary Studies program focuses on the "back of the house" kitchen areas of food and beverage industry while the Food Service Administration program is aimed toward a career in management with exposure to both hotels and restaurants and the on-site food service industry.
Skills & Knowledge
Instruction includes principles of professional cooking and baking, volume food production, food sanitation and safety, purchasing, menu planning, customer service, and basic nutrition concepts.
Examples of skills and knowledge gained through successful completion of the program include the ability to:
- Use principles of nutrition in meal preparation, ingredient use, nutrient retention, and food presentation.
- Perform standard dining room setup and service procedures in a commercial setting.
- Apply French and International terminology, recipes, and methods to a commercial food operation.
- Participate in purchasing, handling, and storage of food supplies in all types of commercial kitchens.
- Prepare fine baked products, classical deserts, and sauces.
For more information, visit O*NET, which provides comprehensive information on key characteristics of workers and occupations including job descriptions, education requirements, wage and employment trend information.
Maricopa Degree Options
|At Phoenix College, get a degree in...||And transfer to a university to get a degree in...|
|Associate in Applied Science (AAS)||Bachelor of Applied Science|
|Associate in Applied Science (AAS)||Bachelor of Hotel and Restaurant Management, NAU|