EMT Basic & EMT Advanced
The Emergency Medical Technology (EMT) Basic and Intermediate programs teach students life-saving emergency techniques and how to care for and stabilize victims of illness or injury. Our Advanced program provides advanced level training to become a paramedic and includes hospital assignments and field internships.
Skills and knowledge gained from the successful completion of this program include the ability to:
- Identify and treat various types of emergencies
- Apply the procedures of identifying and treating shock, including IV fluid therapy and use of MAST
- Describe the actions, indications, contraindications, precautions, side effects and dosages of medications
- Identify and treat pediatric medical and traumatic injuries
EMT Core Classes
- Our EMT course covers techniques of emergency medical care in a variety of situations.
- Our Pharmacology course deals with the administration of emergency medications in the field.
- The Cardiac Care ECG courses are designed to acquaint you with basic electrocardiographic (ECG) rhythm analysis and interpretation and related care in a clinical and prehospital setting.
- The Vehicle Extrication course Incorporates new knowledge and skills necessary to access, extricate, and care for victims of crash incidents.
Continuing education and refresher training is also provided for those wishing to maintain their level of certification and to prepare for more advanced courses. View our program resources to obtain information and download resources.
The EMT/Fire Science Department is now accepting applications for the Paramedic Education Program. Follow the link to obtain your application now!
Career and Employment Outlook
Job growth in this field is expected to be faster than average for all jobs. Emergencies and an aging population will continue to drive demand for this occupation. For information about careers in your area of study, visit O*NET OnLine for detailed job descriptions, education requirements, wage, and employment trend information.
Paramedic Program Accreditation
Phoenix College Paramedic Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs, CAAHEP (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Educational programs for Emergency Medical Services Professions, CoAEMSP (www.coaemsp.org).
For more information regarding Phoenix College Paramedic Program initial accreditation click here or contact CAAHEP:
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
25400 U.S. Highway 19 North, Suite 158
Clearwater, FL 33763
Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions
8301 Lakeview Parkway
Rowlett, TX 75088