Fire science courses are designed to help prospective firefighters develop and learn introductory firefighting and emergency response skills, interview skills and create a resume. Physical conditioning classes are geared to prepare for the demands of the testing process and the fire academy.
Skills and knowledge gained from the successful completion of this program include the ability to:
- Recognize and identify the chemical and physical properties of hazardous materials
- Describe the characteristics and behavior of fire and extinguishing agents
- Describe the methods of attacking, controlling, and extinguishing various types of fires
- Describe the reaction to heat and fire of various types of construction
In addition to the opportunities completion of your degree will offer, Phoenix College has specific courses for firefighters wishing to move up the career ladder. Promotional courses include training in:
- Fire hydraulics and apparatus
- Supervisory practices
- Personnel management
- Firefighting tactics and strategies
Many of our courses are held at the Phoenix Fire Department Training Academy and are taught by current fire department members. The courses to become a certified Firefighter are difficult, both physically and mentally. However, the courses at Phoenix College can give you the edge in the highly competitive hiring and promotional process.
Urban areas will see more growth than rural areas, and applicants with higher test scores and paramedic training will have better prospects, For information about careers in your area of study, visit O*NET OnLine or BLS for detailed job descriptions, education requirements, wage and employment trend information.
Maricopa Degree Options
|At PC, get a degree in...||And transfer to a university to get a degree in...|
|Associate in Applied Science (AAS)||Bachelor of Applied Science|