With the impact of technology on the design fields, designers are required to have both artistic and computer skills. The Graphic Design and Media Arts programs acquaint the student with artistic principles while developing each student's ability to solve problems and create on the computer. Phoenix College offers a wide variety of programs in this exciting field including: Computer Graphic Design, Computer Art/ Illustration, Digital Animation, Digital Imaging, Web Page Design, and Digital Photography.
The Media Arts: Digital Animation program is designed for the student who wishes to develop marketable skills in the area of digital animation. The program provides the student with an understanding of the equipment, operations, and knowledge of the terminology related to video and animation production. In addition to preparing students for employment in these areas our programs upgrade the skills of those already employed in the industry.
Skills and Knowledge
Skills and knowledge gained in the program include the ability to:
- Produce an animation to video project that uses a storyboard, character construction, direct animation, and electronic video.
- Compile a professional level drawing portfolio with examples of line, value, texture, compositional theory, human form, and animation storyboards.
- Compile a digital video animation portfolio of selected animation projects which include a title screen, a menu screen, and original graphics.
- Execute animation(s) using advanced techniques to create 3-D architectural and character models with original text and special effects.
- Assemble, construct, produce, and present a video sequence using digital composition methods.
Employment opportunities are included in video and multimedia fields, such as digital animator, media production, storyboard artist, and multimedia artist/designer. Some work for motion picture or video game studios, software publishers, advertising industries or in the field of computer systems design. Multi media artists often work from home.
For information about careers in your area of study, visit O*NET OnLine for detailed job descriptions, education requirements, wage and employment trend information.