The Medical Assisting program provides training in both the administrative duties of the front office and the clinical procedures generally performed in the medical (back) office.
Important: The application and Program Checklists for the Medical Assistant Program are located under Downloads in the LEFT margin of this web page.
We offer two MA Program cohort starts: (does not include prerequisites)
- Day Fall MA program on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (August through July)
- Evening Spring MA program on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. (January through December)
Under the supervision of a physician, Medical Assistant responsibilities may include:
- Managing health records
- Scheduling appointments
- Taking vital signs and medical histories
- Insurance billing and coding
- Preparing and sterilizing instruments
- Performing electrocardiograms (EKG's)
- Administering medications
- Assisting with minor surgical procedures under the direction of a physician
With training in medical assisting you will be prepared for employment in physician's offices, community health centers, urgent care centers, and select outpatient facilities.
Program Degree and Certificate Options
In this program you can earn the following:
The Arizona Course Applicability System provides information on courses, course equivalencies, and program requirements at all public universities in Arizona. Some universities, such as Northern Arizona University (NAU), offer a Bachelor's degree in Health Professions, with your Medical Assisting certificate and degree credits transferable as a block.
Upon successful program completion, the student will be eligible to take the American Medical Technologists National Medical Assisting Exam for the RMA or Registered Medical Assistant credential.
The growth in opportunities for medical assistants is faster than the average occupation. Expansion of medical practices and demand for more preventive medical services will be driven by an aging baby-boom population and the need for more assistants to perform administrative and clinical duties.
For information about careers in your area of study, visit O*NET OnLine for detailed job descriptions, education requirements, wage and employment trend information.
Enrollment for PC MA Program:
Year #of students #of students graduated Percentage of completers
2012 27 21 78%
2013 16 15 94%
2014 20 18 90%
2015 20 17 85%