Our mission is to help you become a better, more confident learner.
LC Services for PC Students:
- One-on-One Tutoring: FREE in-person, no appointment needed, academic tutoring for Math, Science, and English
- Writing Center: FREE in-person support for writing & reading
- Friday Tutoring Appointments: FREE in-person academic tutoring by appointment on Friday only
- Online Tutoring: FREE online tutoring via Brainfuse
- Study Consults: FREE in-person study skills support by appointment
- Conversation Circles, Workshops, and Reviews:
- ESL Conversation Circles: enjoyable non-credit class where students and community members can practice their English skills.
- HESI A2 Review Sessions: prepares any Maricopa student for the nursing entrance exam; includes tutoring services in the PC Learning Commons
- Accuplacer Assistance: handouts available for accuplacer preparation in English, Reading, and Math
- FREE access to computers, collaboration rooms, WIFI, and study areas
- FREE use of calculators, anatomy models, and some textbooks in the Learning Commons
- FREE learning handouts
What to Bring to the Learning Commons:
- Yourself as early in the semester and as often as you are able.
- Your class notes, syllabus, textbook, assignment, and homework.
- Your valid Phoenix College student ID (Cub Card) to check out resources,
Or if you are from another Maricopa College, then your valid student ID from that college.
- Other students to form a study group.
Academic Tutoring Schedule Spring 2019: Please Call 602-285-7486
Tutors are available on a first-come, first-serve basis for math, science, and English courses. For advanced math, chemistry, physics, biology, anatomy & physiology, and statistics, please call our main number 602-285-7486 during our hours of operation to determine the availability of a tutor for your course.
When you are ready to work with a tutor, check-in at the tutoring Check-In Desk using your student ID number. You will visit with your tutor to work on a single question/concept or for up to 20 minutes, whichever comes first. You may check-in again for additional tutoring.
- Gabriel Leyba (Math): Tues/Thurs 10am-11:30am
- Jen Carrillo (Math): Wed 12:30pm-1:30pm
- Amy Bell (BIO 201/202/156): Wed 10am-11am
- Matt Gallucci (201/202/156): Thurs 2pm-3pm
The Writing Center assists with any writing or reading project. The Writing Center provides support for ESL, English, Spanish, reading, study skills, and any writing assignment for any course. Our tutors will help you to understand your assignment, develop a thesis statement, organize sentences and paragraphs, learn grammar, and much more. We also help with speeches, essays and personal statements for scholarships, and essays for transfer applications.
Friday Appointment Tutoring
Each Friday from 8:30 am to Noon, tutors for Math, Science, and Language Arts see students by appointment. Appointments are for 20 minutes, in-person and one-on-one. You may sign up for one appointment per subject area per Friday, on a first-come, first-served basis, but no earlier than a week prior to your appointment day. Call our main number, 602-285-7486, or stop by the Tutoring Check-In Desk in the Learning Commons to make an appointment.
You can access Brainfuse Online Tutoring through your Phoenix College courses in Canvas.
You may meet one-on-one for a study consult to help you better prepare for your next exam. Topics may include test preparation, test-taking, time management, organization, and other study skills. Please contact email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
Conversation Circles, Workshops & Reviews
ESL Conversation Circles
Conversation Circles are offered for International Students and other English as a Second Language learners to learn, review, and brush up on their conversational English language skills. You do not need to be enrolled in Phoenix College ESL programs to receive this service. The fee for Conversation Circles is $7 per semester; pay at the Hannelly Center. Click here for Spring 2019 Schedule
HESI A2 Workshop
The Learning Commons provides a 5-hour review session to prepare you for the HESI A2 exam.
- Friday, Jan. 25th
- Friday, March 1st
- Friday, April 5th
The fee for the review session is $25.00 per person, but includes tutoring post workshop at the Phoenix College Learning Commons. To register, please contact the Learning Commons at 602-285-7808. Click here for flyer.
Student may meet one-on-one to get handouts from Accuplacer workshops and ask general questions about the placement test. They can also work on online testing materials with a Learning Commons tutor. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment.
Student Survival Guide -resources available at Phoenix College to help you with success as a student.
Learning Commons' Resources - the Learning Commons has compiled links to websites to support your learning.
Want to Join Our Team?
If you are a friendly, patient, dependable person and like helping others, come join our team. We welcome volunteers.
Please submit an application and appropriate documentation at the Learning Commons Reception desk, L023G or send scanned application materials to the Office Coordinator at email@example.com . Transcripts are required for all positions.