The Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund II (HEERF II) is part of the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSAA) 2021, recently passed by Congress. Phoenix College received funds for students with emergency expenses due to COVID-19. Phoenix College has been allocated $11,740,227.00 through HEERF II. Federal guidelines earmarked at least $2,386,096.00 for student grants (HEERF II Student Portion). The remaining $9,354,131.00 is HEERF II Institutional Portion used to defray expenses associated with the coronavirus.
Student grants can be used to cover expenses related to the pandemic, such as food, health care (including mental), technology, course materials, and child-care expenses. As was the case with the Student Portion of the CARES Act funding, which was distributed last spring 2020, summer 2020 and fall 2020, students will receive varying amounts of assistance. Those who qualify will receive an email to inform them of our plans for distribution.
HEERF II Emergency Grant Automatic Distribution (no application required)
For the automatic distribution, each recipient must meet the following criteria:
- Have a completed and accepted 2020-2021 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file with the Financial Aid Office.
- If selected, must have completed federal verification requirements.
- Must be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Must have an expected family contribution (EFC) between 0 and 9999
- Must have completed or be currently attending classes in a degree or certificate program at Phoenix College during the Spring 2021 semester
If you qualify, you will receive email notification and will receive an emergency grant posted to the refund method listed in your Student Center beginning April 20, 2021. Please monitor your Maricopa student email for updates.
Award amounts to eligible students can range from $215 to a maximum of $1,080. The highest grant amounts are provided to eligible students who exhibit exceptional financial need as determined from their FAFSA. Furthermore, emergency grant award amounts for students who are enrolled less than half time will be prorated accordingly. Please see below for the awarding methodology.
EXPECTED FAMILY CONTRIBUTION (EFC): 0 - 5711
- Half Time + (6 or more credits) $1080
- Less Than Half Time (3-5 credits) $540
EXPECTED FAMILY CONTRIBUTION (EFC): 5712 - 9999
- Half Time + (6 or more credits) $430
- Less Than Half Time (3-5 credits) $215