Prospective students may apply online to the program of study.
- Level I Fingerprint Clearance Card: The Program Application must be accompanied by a Level I Fingerprint Clearance card issued through the Arizona Department of Public Safety (azdps.gov). The electronic application is completed online at the AZ Department of Public Safety website. The process for obtaining a Level I Fingerprint Clearance card issued through AZ DPS may take up to 8 weeks or more, so it is important to plan ahead. A front copy of the Fingerprint Clearance card must be included with the application.
- Phoenix College Admission: Complete the general enrollment application for Phoenix College by setting up your student account and designating your major or plan of study as the Medical Billing and Coding CCL. Complete the required placement tests. If you already have a college degree from an accredited college or university you may not need to re-test.
- Official Transcripts: Request official transcripts sent directly from each school you have attended from outside of Maricopa County Community College district to PC Admissions. You will receive a text message once we receive them, and also one when they have been evaluated into your student record. sent directly from each school you have attended from outside of Maricopa County Community College district to PC Admissions. You will receive a text message once we receive them, and also one when they have been evaluated into your student record.
- Program Application: Complete and submit the online application form. Applications that have missing items will not be reviewed and will be returned to the applicant.
- Submit Documents: Applications must contain all supporting documents in order for them to be reviewed.
All of the following items must be submitted by the application deadlines specified above to be considered for admission to the Medical Billing and Coding CCL program.
- Completed Medical Billing and Coding CCL Application
- Current Arizona Level 1 Fingerprint Clearance Card
- Signed Acknowledgement of Criminal Background Check
- Transfer Credit (if applicable)
Background Check Requirements:
Please note the following background check requirements that you must fulfill in order to complete the Medical Billing and Coding CCL at Phoenix College.
Admission into an Allied Health program requires that students are in compliance with the Maricopa County Community College District Supplemental Background Check policy.
Upon conditional program admission, the student must comply with all requirements of the current MCCCD background check policy. Students conditionally admitted into the program will be required to complete and pass a supplemental MCCCD background check prior to their professional practice/clinical experience. Students are responsible for associated fees for the background check.
Additional Admission Information
- HIM courses must be taken in sequence according to pre and/or co-requisite requirements.
- HIM courses are available in a variety of formats including:
- Evening classes (start at or after 6 pm)
- Online classes (available only through the internet)
- Hybrid classes (combination of evening and online classes)
- Advanced placement is available depending on documentation of health information experience or prior education at regionally accredited colleges/universities. See Program Director for more information.
- Some HIM courses may be offered only once a year. Please be sure and meet with the advisor for an updated plan of study.
- Additional requirements including drug and health screenings by an approved healthcare provider must be successfully completed prior to professional practice placements.
- Students will need the following immunizations before beginning the Professional Practice Experience. It is recommended that students complete these immunizations as soon as possible to help balance costs throughout the duration of the program.
- Proof of two MMR vaccinations or positive titers for measles, mumps, AND rubella
- Proof of two varicella vaccinations or positive varicella titer (history of disease is not sufficient)
- Proof of Tdap (tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis) vaccination within the last 10 years
Disclaimer: Application process and requirements are subject to change without notice.