Regular and timely class attendance for all classes, each day, is a basic school and class requirement. Attendance is a critical aspect of learning and a crucial part of success at PCPA. PCPA will maintain a strict policy regarding attendance so that students will be able to take full advantage of the extraordinary opportunity extended to them. All students are expected to be regular and punctual in their attendance. Excessive tardiness or a pattern of unwarranted absenteeism is cause for administrative withdrawal. Unwarranted or excessive absences from Phoenix College classes may result in the student being dropped from those classes and dismissal from PCPA. Punctual transportation to and from school is a student’s responsibility. A missed bus, missed ride, or car problems is not a valid excuse for an absence.
- Ditching- Not attending any class after being present on campus.
- Truant- The act of not being present on campus.
- Absence- Failure to be present during a class period.
- Unexcused Absence- Absent without written permission from parent or guardian.
Normally, only illness-related absences are “excused” absences. Exceptions are school approved functions and bereavement. Doctor and dental appointments will be excused with a note from the doctor’s office. Parents have 48 hours to notify and correctly identify the absence for the office to excuse the absence.
Parents/Guardians must call the Attendance Office by 8:00 a.m. to report a student absence. In addition, a parental note is required within two days of an absence to document an excused absence. Excused absences will be authorized when there is:
- a personal illness
- a medical appointment
- a death in the family
- School-sanctioned activities
- If a college activities or field trips conflicts with a high school class, parents must call in to excuse the absence. Students can also fill out a field trip permission slip form, signed by parents and teachers.
- Absences related to legal system
- Family Emergency Bereavement/Funeral (immediate family member only)
- Religious Observances (should be pre-arranged with PCPA Administration)
An emergency situation or an unusual circumstance presented as a justification for an absence will be evaluated by the Administration on a case-by-case basis. Family vacations /outings should not be scheduled during school days.
----ANY ABSENCES NOT RELATED TO THE ITEMS MENTIONED ABOVE ARE CONSIDERED UNEXCUSED.
To report an absence or tardy please call (602) 285-7998