English as a Second Language
Welcome English Language Learners!
Improve your English skills:
- To get a better job
- To communicate with teachers, friends, and neighbors
- To find out about American culture, traditions, and customs
- To prepare for an academic degree
- To prepare for an occupational certificate
- To build confidence in speaking, listening, reading and writing.
Whatever your reason may be, Phoenix College faculty and staff are here to support you with your goal.
100 for 100 ESL Scholarship
Are you a new ESL student at Phoenix College? You may be eligible for free ESL classes.
The 100 for 100 ESL Scholarship is to encourage new English language learners to study in the college’s ESL program. Applicants must be admitted into the college and enrolled in a minimum of six (6) credit-hours to be eligible for the scholarship that semester.
- Applicants must be eligible for in-county tuition
- Scholarship covers tuition and fees for (6) six credits per semester
- Scholarship may be renewed for a second consecutive semester with a minimum 2.0 GPA and successful completion your ESL classes.
Email completed scholarship applications to email@example.com 45 days prior to the beginning of the semester for which the applicant is requesting funding.
If you are reading this, you’ve made an excellent choice by considering Phoenix College as your school to learn English as a Second Language. The ESL program at Phoenix College offers students one of the most diverse language learning programs in Arizona. Our ESL students come from more than 100 different countries speaking 50 different languages, so you won’t be alone.
The ESL Program at Phoenix College offers the most variety of classes of any of the 10 colleges in the Maricopa County Community College District from basic English to Freshman Composition and Research. The Core ESL Class offerings include four levels of
- Listening and Speaking,
- Writing with Oral Practice
Classes are offered in the mornings and evenings four days a week. Financial aid and payment plans are available to students who qualify. Classes start as low as $85
Knowledge and Skills
ESL students gain skills and ability with classes in:
- Grammar, spelling, and vocabulary
- Listening and speaking
- Reading and phonics
- Writing of sentences, paragraphs, and essays
- Freshman composition and research
- Internet and computer ESL resources