About NASA ASCEND
ASCEND is a high-altitude ballooning project funded by the Arizona/NASA Space Grant. It provides a unique opportunity for undergraduate engineering students to apply their skills and prepare for success in their future careers.
Internships for STEM Students:
Join our Phoenix College Team and over 100 Arizona STEM college and university students in designing and flying balloon-launched scientific payloads up to 100,000 ft. in elevation.
- Gain technical knowledge and practical skills working on a hands-on, relevant, real-world engineering project.
- Design scientific payload experiments, analyze data, and present findings (annual symposium).
- Gain exposure to a wide array of electronic, mechanical and software technologies including Arduino and Raspberry Pi microcomputers, atmospheric and flight sensors, communication and navigation radios, computer programming, CAD, 3D-Printing, carbon fiber, PCB design and much more.
- Enrolled in PC STEM courses
- Must participate over both Spring and Fall semesters
- Invest 80 hours minimum over 10 weeks and attend mandatory weekly team meetings
- U.S. Citizen (Paid), Non-Citizen (Volunteer)
- Programming (esp. Python and C++), electrical, and mechanical design skills are a plus