Vanguard Showcase and Eric Fischl Vanguard Award 2022 Instructions and Registration
The Vanguard Showcase is a juried showcase of Phoenix College’s best student artwork. It is also an opportunity for student artists to practice submitting and exhibiting their artwork. Selected artwork will be exhibited in the Eric Fischl Gallery.
Eligibility and cost
If you are a current Phoenix College student, then you can submit artwork to the exhibition. Your artwork must have been completed within the current academic school year and never exhibited before in the Eric Fischl Gallery. Only students without a bachelor's or higher degree in fine arts are eligible for the Eric Fischl Vanguard Award.
Submission is free.
Categories and awards
You can submit artwork in the following categories:
- Two-dimensional media including drawing, painting, illustration, and design
- Three-dimensional media including ceramics, sculpture, and mixed-media
- Photography including black and white, digital, color, hand-painted, and alternative and/or manipulated photographic images
- Media arts including graphic design, illustration, web design, animation, and comic and sequential art
In addition to the Eric Fischl Vanguard Award described below, local jurors will award first, second, and third place in each category.
Eric Fischl Vanguard Award
The Eric Fischl Vanguard Award is a $2,500 best in show prize juried by artist Eric Fischl and his guest. The Eric Fischl Vanguard Award winners’ artworks are displayed in the Phoenix Art Museum’s Great Hall during the annual Fischl Lecture on Wednesday, April 13 at 5:30 pm. The Eric Fischl Vanguard Award will also be presented to the Eric Fischl Vanguard Award winners at this time. Two Eric Fischl Vanguard Awards will be given.
If you would like to be considered for a Vanguard Award, please complete the Eric Fischl Vanguard Award form in addition to the Vanguard Showcase. Forms are available in the Eric Fischl Gallery and art office in Art 220.
Submission and artwork pick-up instructions
- Bring your artwork to the Eric Fischl Gallery, second floor of the art building, April 4 - 6 from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm.
- You can submit up to three artworks.
- Make sure your two-dimensional artwork and photography are completely dry, matted, and framed with secure hanging wire or hanging tab on the back of the frame. You can submit artwork on canvas board or stretched canvas without a frame if your artwork has hanging wire or a hanging tab on the back.
- Complete one entry form for each artwork. Entry forms can be found online; in the art office, Art 220; or in the gallery when you drop off your artwork. Attach one copy of the form to the back of the artwork, give one copy to the gallery attendant when you deliver the work, and keep one copy for yourself. Make sure your contact information is legible and you can be reached during the day at the phone number you provide.
- If your artwork isn’t selected for the exhibition, please pick it up at the Eric Fischl Gallery on April 18 from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm, or make an appointment to pick it up.
Exhibition and artwork pick-up times
Selected artwork will be exhibited in the Eric Fischl Gallery from April 18 to May 1. An opening reception will be held on April 22 from 5:30 to 8:00 pm.
After the exhibition, artwork will be available for pick-up on May 2- 4 from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm. Artwork not claimed after May 10 or for which pick up arrangements have not been made will be disposed of.
Liability and responsibility
The Eric Fischl Art Gallery will exercise care in the handling of your artwork, but the gallery does not have insurance for loss, theft, or damage of the artworks in the exhibition. If you want insurance, you must make your own arrangements for it.
If you have questions, Tiffany Bailey will be happy to help you! Contact her at email@example.com or 602-285-7283.
To register your artwork for the exhibition, you must be logged into your Maricopa.edu Gmail. Log into your Maricopa.edu Gmail, click on the button below, and complete the form. You will complete one form per artwork, up to three artworks.
When you submit the form, a copy of your registration will be sent to your Maricopa.edu Gmail. Bring the top half of the form with you when you bring your artwork(s) to the gallery. Keep the bottom portion for yourself.