Veteran Steps to Enroll

Veteran Steps to Enroll

The enrollment process for veterans is the same as other students—however, after you have applied for admission, please visit Veterans Services and complete a Veteran's Request for Education Benefits form. The form must be completed for each semester of enrollment if planning to use VA benefits.

 Visit the Steps to Success checklist for all other enrollment steps.

Veteran Enrollment Forms

Information for Aid in Understanding VA Certification Requirements

The Veteran Services Office has been approved to certify eligible veterans and their dependents for educational benefits. The following information is provided to assist the student in understanding the  U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs certification requirements.

  • Student must notify the Veteran Services office each semester of enrollment if planning to use VA benefits.
  • If you are concurrently enrolled in more than one institution while attending Phoenix College, you must notify our Veteran Services Office and EACH school in order to ensure the correct payment of benefits.
  • If you are using your educational benefits for the first time at Phoenix College, it usually takes 8–10 weeks to receive your first educational benefit check. Veterans wishing to receive advance pay should apply with the Veterans Services Office at least 45 days prior to the first day of classes. Continuing students are not eligible for advanced pay. Tuition deferments may be available for veterans using educational benefits.
  • The VA will pay for courses that do not meet for the entire semester (short-term courses) and funding is only for the duration of the class. The payment of benefits may change as short-term courses begin or end. Any questions regarding short-term courses should be referred to the Veteran Services Office.
  • Every veteran is responsible for notifying the Veteran Services Office of any changes in his/her schedule during the drop/add period and throughout the semester in order to ensure appropriate funding based on the student’s enrollment.
  • VA regulations state that veterans who drop classes after the drop/add period — or who receive a grade of "Z" (no credit), "W" (withdrawal), or "Y" (withdrawal failing) — may be liable for overpayment back to the beginning of the semester.
  • VA regulations require the college to have official copies of transcripts (including military) from every college/university attended if the veteran is applying for educational benefits. All transcripts must be requested by the student and should be sent directly to the Admissions and Records Office at Phoenix College.

*GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government web site at