Enrollment Services

Phoenix College Enrollment Information

Education Benefits applicants must complete a Request for Veterans Affairs (VA) Certification every semester in order to receive the benefits. Requests should be submitted 30 days prior to the beginning of the semester in order to avoid a delay in receiving the payments.

Please read and review the Veterans students resources below.

Veteran/Dependent Information And Responsibilities (Please Read)

Processing Time
The normal processing time for the Veterans Administration is eight to 10 weeks from the date you complete your payment request at the Veterans Services office.

Short Term Classes
Classes less than the normal 16 weeks affect your monthly benefit rate. Consult the Veterans 
Services office.

Open Entry/Open Exit Classes
These classes do not have confirmed beginning and ending dates. You must complete these courses before applying for benefits.

Tuition Deferments
Students may apply for a tuition deferment at the Veterans Services office.

Every veteran is responsible to notify the Veterans Services office of any change in your schedule or amount of credit hours that you are enrolled. 

Concurrent Enrollment
You are concurrently enrolled when you are attending more than one college.

Parent College
The college from which you intend to graduate.

Supplemental College
A college where you are taking courses, but do not intend to get your degree.

Your Responsibility
Notify each college Veterans Services office and let them know if they are the parent or supplemental school.

New Student and Dependent Enrollment

For the purposes of clarity, the term “new students and dependents” applies to those applicants who have not used VA Education Benefits before at any institution of higher education. Applicants who have used their VA Education Benefits elsewhere are highly encouraged to come into the Phoenix College Veterans Services office in order to receive assistance with the transition of benefits. New applicants must follow these steps:

  1. Apply for VA benefits online:
    1. Veterans via EBenefits
    2. Apply for the GI Bill

Please, ensure that the election start date is at least two weeks prior to the start of the semester. The VA will process the application and send a Certificate of Eligibility letter to the applicant four to six weeks later.

  • Application Forms
    • Chapter 33 Veteran: VA Form 22-1990 (First Time applying for benefits)
    • Chapter 33 Veteran: VA Form 22-1995 (Change of Program/Place of Training)
    • Chapter 35/Chapter 33 Fry: VA Form 22-5490 (First Time applying for benefits)
    • Chapter 35/ Chapter 33 Fry: VA Form 22-5495 (Change of Program/Place of Training)
    • Chapter 33 Dependent/TOE: VA Form 22-1990E (First Time applying for benefits)
    • Chapter 33 Dependent/TOE: VA Form 22-5495 (Change of Program/Place of Training)
    • Chapter 31: VA Form 28-1900 (First Time applying for benefits)
  1. Set up a my.maricopa.edu account. 
    1. Fill out a Student Admission application, either online at my.maricopa.edu (click on “new student”), or in-person through Enrollment Services. Once this is complete, the applicant will be issued a student ID number and a Maricopa Enterprise ID (MEID).
  2. Activate the student’s Maricopa email by entering the student’s MEID and password at maricopa.edu/google.
    1. All college communications will come via this email address. Mail can be forwarded to a personal email address via the settings.
  3. Apply for admission. 
    1. Go to the Student Center link and log in with the student’s MEID. Click Admissions and follow the instructions to select the college, program, and term.
    2. Note: To be considered for in-state tuition, the student must submit a Declaration of Citizenship or Status form and documentation.
  4. Apply for financial aid at fafsa.ed.gov or under Other Links on the Student Center. Visit Financial Aid for information about financial assistance (grants, loans, scholarships, and work-study).
  5. Take the mandatory on-campus placement test (new students only). Visit the Phoenix College Testing Services website for additional information. (Transferring students, see an advisor before PAWS and testing).
  6. Sign up for the mandatory “PAWS” Priority Advisement Workshop to develop a first-semester plan, register for classes, and new student orientation.
    1. Be sure to bring:
      1. Your placement scores
      2. Student ID number
      3. Any questions
  7. Order official military and academic transcripts from all colleges previously attended to include CLEP and DANTES (DVA requirement). Then request an evaluation of those transcripts with the PC Admissions & Records Office. The PC Veteran Services office is able to certify students for only 1(one) semester prior to receiving all academic transcripts from the military and all colleges previously attended. Transcripts must be mailed directly to PC.
  8. Meet with the PC Veterans’ Academic Advisor if questions regarding the determination of the program of study or education planning arise. Students can obtain a copy of this program of study checklist from the PC website under the Student tab and Advisement link or the veteran advisor. Veterans Services Center will help navigate the DVA system as it pertains to student veterans. Bring any transcripts (even unofficial) and questions.
  9. After enrollment in classes, the student must complete and submit the appropriate proof of benefits entitlement document for the specific chapter (the paperwork listed on Page 5) to the Veterans Services Center. If the student has not received the benefit award document yet, he or she can still submit PC’s paperwork. However, the student must submit it once it’s been received.
  10. Buy or rent textbooks at the college bookstore or online.
  11. Attend the Veterans’ New Student Orientation. After orientation, the student needs to obtain the required student ID from the cashier’s office and the vehicle decal from the campus Public Safety office.
  12. Remember, learning starts on day one. Students must have registered and made payment arrangements by the first day of class. Students who do not show up for the first class may be dropped unless prior arrangements with the instructor are made.

Continuing/ Re-enrolling Military/ Dependent Students

The following steps are for those students who are continuing their education from another semester. Every semester, continuing students need to follow these steps:

  1. Register early! 
    1. Summer and fall terms open for enrollment in March, and the spring term opens for enrollment in October. Check the academic calendar for exact dates.
  2. Pick the necessary classes.
    1. Consult the degree check-sheet:
      1. These can be found at PC Degrees & Check Sheets.
      2. The student can use the degree progress report in the Student Center.
      3. Or the student may come in and pick one up at the Veterans Services Center.
    2. Visit the Phoenix College website to start choosing classes. Add the classes to the cart or write down the class number. Build a schedule based on the needs.
    3. Enroll in the classes in the Student Center using the chosen class numbers.
    4. If students are having trouble picking classes or filling up the schedule, they should stop into the Veterans Services Center for assistance.
  3. Check on transcripts.
    1. Go to the Student Center and click the “Other Academic” dropdown box and choose “Transfer Credit Report.”
    2. Ask an advisor.
  4. When changing a student’s program or degree plan:
    1. Fill out the “Request For Change of Program Or Place of Training” form. Fill out the VA form 22-1995 for military members or VA Form 22-5495 for dependents.
  5. Close to graduating?
    1. See an advisor to apply for graduation after a successful registration.
    2. If the classes will not account for full time, use “Last Semester Roundup” to fill the schedule after seeing an advisor.
  6. Request for benefits.
    1. Visit the Veterans Services Center to request the benefits and complete the deferment application.
    2. Don’t forget financial aid! Fill out the FAFSA form ASAP after January 2 for the new Fall term!