ACCUPLACER Placement Exam
Accuplacer a comprehensive, computerized, adaptive testing system designed to place students into the appropriate levels of English, reading and math. Placement results are used to determine appropriate course selection based on student knowledge and skills; it is not possible to pass or fail a placement test.
The test series consists of three untimed subject areas: English (WritePlacer), reading & math. The WritePlacer exam provides a specific prompt and requires examinees to provide a writing sample (400-600 words) in response to that prompt; reading and math utilize a multiple-choice format.
CELSA (Combined English Language Skills Assessment)
If English is not your native language you are strongly encouraged to take the CELSA course placement test to evaluate your college readiness for English and reading courses. CELSA is a multiple-choice exam, students must complete the exam within 45 minutes.
Students who wish to take a math course will need to take the Accuplacer math exam in addition to the CELSA exam.
Practice & Prepare for your Placement Exam
Students are strongly encouraged to prepare for the placement test, please refer to websites below for preparation material.
- Free tutoring for the placement test: work with a professional tutor at PC, contact Learning Commons for information
- Accuplacer Prep (free online program)
- WritePlacer Guide with Sample Essays - English placement test
- Accuplacer Sample Questions - including WritePlacer
- Accuplacer Official Web-Based Study App
- English for Everyone - English & reading
- HippoCampus - English & math
- IXL - English & math (K-12 focus)
- KHAN Academy
- Math TV - math videos
- Phoenix College Self-Study Math MOOCs - free self-paced, online math classes
- Patrick - Just Math Tutor - math resources
- Purplemath - math resources
- Phoenix College Library offers several prep books that you may borrow – check them out!
Placement Test Results
Students typically receive their results the same day, however you may receive a “Writeplacer Score Pending" notification in lieu of a score on the WritePlacer test. This means your essay required hand scoring and happens for a variety of reasons. It is not indicative of the course placement. Scores are typically available within two business days in your Student Center at my.maricopa.edu
To access your scores follow these steps:
- Navigate to my.maricopa.edu
- Select Student Center (Under Student Tools) and log in with your MEID & Password
- Select Test Scores link
- Print out a copy of your Writeplacer Score for BearTrax
In addition to the options detailed here MCCCD Course Placement Chart, you may qualify for a Multiple Measures Program that Phoenix College has adopted to provide additional placement options. Students can get additional information about these options by attending the BearTrax Session, or meeting with an Advisor.
Placement test scores are valid for 2 years from the date of testing, with the exception for those students who place Reading Exempt, that placement will not expire.
Students with Disabilities: If you require test accommodations due to a documented disability, please contact Disability Resources & Services for information regarding your accommodations at 602.285.7477