The doors open at Grand Canyon University at 6:00 p.m. for graduates and their guests. Graduates will be directed outside the Arena for check-in and should arrive no later than 6:15 p.m. The ceremony begins at 7:00 p.m. sharp with a processional of our graduates entering the Arena. Balloons, strollers, flowers or blowhorns are not allowed in the Arena, and there will be security scanners at the main entrance.
Graduates must stay in the arena for the entire commencement and are not allowed to leave early.
If guests need to leave the arena, they will be directed to a designated door if they with to re-enter. Guests must present their ticket marked for re-entry.
If you are participating in the Phoenix College Spring 2019 commencement, graduation computations are not finalized until all grades are posted for the degree/certificate. All participants will receive an award cover as you approach the stage.
After commencement, graduates will be directed to the open grass area in front of the arena where light refreshments will be served.
Graduates and guests should use the 29th Avenue parking structure located on Camelback and 29th Avenue. You are encouraged to use 27th Avenue to enter the parking structure and get around rush hour traffic. Please plan accordingly to arrive on time due to rush hour traffic and the distance from the parking structure to the Arena. Comfortable walking shoes are advised. If closer handicapped parking is needed, call 602.285.7477 to make prior arrangements.
Ten six-passenger golf carts are available at the 29th Avenue garage to transport guests to the arena. Follow the signs to the arena; there will be no foot traffic allowed on Camelback for safety purposes. Golf cart shuttles will run 1 1/2 hours before 6:00 p.m. (starting at 4:30) and will stop one hour after commencement.
Graduates should bring minimal personal items to the area. There are no lockers or areas to store personal items.
Student Commencement Parking Map
- Seating for disabled guests will be available.
- Interpreters for the deaf and hard of hearing will be present.
- ADA parking is available at the 33rd Avenue garage in addition to the 29th Avenue garage; however the 33rd Avenue garage will have no golf cart shuttles available to the arena.
- ADA seating inside the area is on a first-come, first-served basis. If you or your guests need ADA accommodations, call Disability Resource Center at 602.285.7477.
Tickets will be available to pick-up starting April 22 at the Welcome Desk in the Hannelly Center.
- Tickets will be required for all guest. No one will be allowed in the Arena without a ticket.
- Each graduate can request up to eight tickets for family and friends.
- Graduates should wear their gown to commencement. This is your ticket to get into the arena.
- Children three and under do not need a ticket if sharing a seat with a ticket holder.
- Graduates may request additional tickets at pick-up. If additional tickets are available (starting May 6), graduates who requested additional tickets will be contacted by phone and/or student email account.
- There will be a "Will Call" table for guests/graduates to pick up tickets the day of commencement located at the front entrance of the arena. Tickets will be held under the graduates name. Call 602.285.7886 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Family and guests are encouraged to arrive early. Doors to Grand Canyon University Arena will open at 6:00 p.m. Seating is on a first come, first served basis.
- Due to traffic, graduates should be at GCU by 6:00 p.m. Due to the large volume of guests, there will be an express lane for graduates on both the east and west sides of the arena by the metal detectors.
- Graduates will be directed to the loading dock in the back of the arena for check in. All graduates should be checked in by 6:30 p.m.
GradImages Inc. will take “no obligation” portrait photographs during the ceremony. When you check in at commencement, you will receive a photo card to complete and give to them before going across the stage. Order photographs online at www.gradimages.com or call 800-261-2576.
Family and friends may take pictures AFTER the conclusion of the recessional march. Faculty, administrators, and staff will remain a few minutes for pictures.
Phoenix College Geofilters will be available on Snapchat!